Education’s Next Horizon is a statewide non-profit organization dedicated to PreK-12 education improvement in Louisiana. Our mission is two-fold: (1) to help frame the debate for comprehensive system-wide PreK-12 education reform and (2) to connect Louisiana’s leadership—education, government, business and community—as a force supporting school improvement.
We exist as a platform for partnerships – a place to build networks between education, government and business leaders with a common passion to improve PreK-12 education in Louisiana. We believe that Louisiana needs a sustainable organization that transcends political affiliations, election cycles and education factions. Our purpose is to build an education system to “help each child in Louisiana reach his/her potential.” Education’s Next Horizon was formed to change the question that governs the interaction between education leadership and the community as a whole from “What can you do for us?” to “What can we do together to educate all children well?” Our commitment to the reform agenda is embodied in a “Contract with Louisiana.”
Our state’s mission in PreK-12 education is to raise student achievement for all children, eliminate the achievement gap, and enable all children to be effective citizens in the global marketplace. In complex and challenging times, we cannot expect the education community to bear sole responsibility for the vision. We are all responsible.
The Commitment of Education’s Next Horizon
- First, we will be a platform for partnerships – a connector of Louisiana’s education, government and business leadership as a force supporting school improvement.
- Second, we will be an advocate for investment in quality early childhood education at the national, state, and local level.
- Third, we will fulfill Louisiana’s Promise – to create local community solutions to increasing the graduation rate in every community in Louisiana.
- Fourth, we will support large scale middle and high school transformation –
change aimed at increasing graduation rates and preparing all students to be college and career ready.
- Fifth, we will work to create schools where every child reads at grade level.
- Sixth, we will focus on reform based on quality teaching and the interaction of teacher and child in the classroom – a strategy based on innovation and attracting, retaining and developing talent in the classroom.
- Seventh, we will be an honest broker dedicated to helping frame the public debate on PreK-12 education.
This reform agenda addresses improvement at every step of the education pipeline – from PreK to elementary school literacy and numeracy to improvement of graduation rates and preparation of students for post-secondary education and careers – to give every child in Louisiana the opportunity to reach his or her fullest potential..